Monday, February 20, 2012

More Pegs (in progress)



I am enjoying these pegs.
I have made a few versions, and often I like them best at this stage, when the ink ground has not yet released them completely, and they sit there only half-exhumed, so that the eye sees, one moment, pegs swinging free in the air, the next, their entrapment within a drawing convention.

I've had a few false starts and a bit of a slow week. The start of my teaching term is imminent, and after all these years I still get nervous.

But today the studio is yielding joy.

I feel certain that there is something important in the pegs, if I can just get at it... I spotted them weeks ago out the back window of my home: these pegs that are always there, that I always see. But on this occasion, I had the enormous privilege of seeing them with fresh eyes for some reason, and there was more there than I would have thought. Some tacit, shimmering communication about the order of things. I have no idea what it was, and perhaps it's for my own good, but I felt richer for having seen it for moment.

Some of that glow is still humming in my dealings with the pegs, today.



No comments:

Post a Comment